/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Three Days of Shiva

MEMORIALIZING RUSSERT

As MSNBC sits three days of shiva in their coverage of Tim Russert, I cannot help but think of those David Blankenhorn's of the world, who must be near ecstatic that the topic of fatherhood is getting so much prime-time attention.

And it's a good thing, that it should, so I won't complain. In fact, I'd like to get a copy of Wisdom of our Fathers. A letter campaign that size is a sociologist's wet dream, maybe.

POSITIVE MALE ENERGY

Years ago, now, Robert Bly highlighted the perspective that there is a dearth of positive male energy in a lot of people's lives, one that visibly colors their relationship with social power structures (I think) and less visibly in their personal relationships.

I've been very lucky to have had more than one 'father figure' in my life, but, perhaps, not a 'mentor' in the greek sense of the term.

THE 'Y' IN MY XY

I don't write long, personal stories. Not because I cannot, but because my sense of private and public thwarts it. Some often confuse that with something nefarious, but that's off the mark. (Yes, I know this means that I won't ever have a wildly successful blog ...).

In general terms, I have positive memories of my father. He was the parent who was the 'rulebreaker' in the family. In some respects, we learned judgment from him - how and when to be a follower.

That's too simple a summary, but, Happy Father's Day, dad.