/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Obama Wins Iowa, Nation Still Undecided


FINALLY THE END OF THE BEGINNING IS IN SIGHT

I'm so glad that the dodo race is coming to a close.

The last four to six weeks have generated almost no information about the candidates.

Party platform? Campaign promises? Pshaw.

We pick people who speak well, have good skin, nice hair - or whatever, and handle the press without falling into the pit that is our National freak show, as described by Mark Halperin and John Harris. Even AS wants us to decide based on the "trust" factor or some 'meanness quotient'.

TIRED OF PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THE RACE

I'm also tired of those not willing to make a prediction and look like a fool tomorrow. So, I've done it with this post.

Obama's c-span covered speech yesterday was ... good, but not a cut above.

Reagan knew how to take people with him, rhetorically, and used it to be the kind of 'above it all' teflon, figure that Obama wants to be. It doesn't appear that Obama is a student of Reagan's tactics. He doesn't say, "I cannot take on Washington alone. I must have your help. I will need your ongoing support, from time to time. Together we can make a change that will be heard across the Nation, in every home and in every city, from main street to Wall Street, to those with every prospect and to those looking hard on their luck. Are you with me Iowa? Are you ready to help me change politics in America!?" Instead, he talks about how he was 'instrumental in finance reform', or whatever phrase, so we can count on him. Yawn.

Clinton is ... peaking? I want to know if there is a second or third act. She seems to like retail politics a little more than I expected. But is she grounded enough in it? Who knows ...

Edwards is a great listener. The executive talent 'debate' is a non-issue, I think. If I had to pick someone with signs executive talent it might be Edwards (or Biden).

THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME

Have a look at how Romney treated Huckabee. That's perhaps how the national campaign will look.

Immigration and immigrants. We are going to hear everything ever said on the topic.