/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Monday, January 21, 2008

AS Passing Strange on "The Simpsons"

Readers may have noticed that I have found myself slipping. I no longer refer to Clinton's candidacy. I refer to the Clintons' candidacy. This was always the case, of course. They have been professionally joined at the hip for their entire careers. Their marriage, among other things, is a power-move - for them both -AS
Slipping or preaching? Seriously, what Presidency hasn't had a "power couple", excepting Truman?

Isn't Laura Bush the perfect political wife, in some respects. She never says anything controversial and she loves to have ... barbecue. She's a serious part of Bush's "power", because of it. Nancy Reagan wasn't seriously interested in Ronald, even more fiercely than Ronnny himself? She even had a chief-of-staff dismissed, reportedly. Didn't Barbara Bush help her husband, too, providing all kinds of context about his family life and testimony? (Wilson's wife even ran the government, didn't she. Abagail Adams?)

Just because Hillary is out there taking a public stance, doesn't mean that the Clinton's are more or less one political unit.

True, it may seem "unfair" that Bill is out there stirring the waters, because of his unique position to do so; but let's not turn it into some weird notion of "dynasty". For pity's sake, I don't think AS has written one word about the Romney family dynasty.

At least now we know what this race is about: Obama versus the Clintons. Both of them. Their dynasty. Their power. Their methods. Their character.

What politician doesn't want to be re-elected? C'mon.

I'm not sure, if I were Bill, I wouldn't have done the same as he did. Seeing that his effectiveness was going to be hobbled by the Republicans and by many in his own party willing to vote Republican-lite, I would have looked around and said, "Look at this situation. Who better could run it? If not me, than who? I may as well do what I need to do."

That seems a far more logical position that what some suppose could have happened, which is taking a bunch of "principled" stands and "flaming out", so to speak.

When you cannot "win", you triangulate, most often, blocking and tackling. Show me that it is different, and I'll change my mind.