/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hillary and the Hispanic Vote

Just checking on my hunches, I found two pieces on how Hillary may be winning the Hispanic vote.

It's a complex game of playing on gender.

What she shrewdly sees is that Hispanics are more than an ethnicity, they are also a gender.-Salon


Another (with video, annoyingly on auto-play):

One of the most common phrases I heard as a child was, "Valla pues." The colloquial translation is, "alright then." It was this phrase that ignited my feminist tendencies, as I would sit there and watch my mother "valla pues" my father till she was blue in the face. I never understood it and for many, many years, thought she was being taken advantage of and swore that would not be me. "Ay, mija," my mother would say. "Dejalo." - Leave it alone.

While Obama supporters are coming up with more sexualized videos, or videos playing up the exoticized Latino hot-but-mindless-stereotype, Hillary's team is instead using a more feminist approach by using female intellect and influence to attract votes.