/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Friday, March 30, 2007

Booting or Mooting Marriage

I remember the battle within the gay rights movement over marriage. Believe me, many on the left were against it. -AS

That bears some explaining. I don't remember the gay rights movement having a deep left-right divide, until .... Do "modern" gay-conservatives believe that pre-marital gay-sex is a sin? Do they believe that morning sex is bad for you, like non-procreative sex might be for others? Which is just another way to say that, in my view, the widespread support comes from a belief in relationship non-discrimination - and even relationship celebration - but not necessarily "gay marriage". But, I've never taken a poll or anything - heck, I wouldn't know who to ask. For most (no, all) of the LGBT people I know, I don't think I could classify for sure what their politics is in a left-right way. I rather like it being that way, too.

I can live within a coalition with people who oppose my right to marry the man I love. But I cannot live within a coalition that would amend the federal constitution to forbid it for ever in every state. -AS

Well, eyes open: McCain isn't polling too well, right now, so ... just hold that thought and what it might imply about the coalition.

There is something not quite right in discovering the joys of federalism after having ignored the perils of it. Alas, that's water under the bridge: "love that Federalism, 'cause it's all we got." There is reason to be optimistic about that, because it does provide for a kind of percolation. There is also reason to be pessimistic that it will lead to an eventual, desired consensus, because thirty years after Roe, with enough said and written about it to paper a trip to the moon, yet still some folks want it returned (condemned?) to the States!

Meanwhile, the grass is greener elsewhere: Christopher Dodd, Democrat for President, comes out firmly for changing the DADT policy. McCain ... says he will subordinate any view he has on the matter to the opinion of the Generals. Why not skip McCain to get two birds with one stone?