/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Athlete of the Week

Iowa State grappler Mark Perry upends two time champion Johnny Hendricks to win the 165lbs NCAA Division I Championship.

I caught this on ESPN inadvertantly (story with video of match). It was an energetic but slow match. Reversal came in the last 20 seconds and upset Hendricks' one-match-away bid to be a three-time NCAA Champ.

On how emotional it was
“The same I was at that time. I told my coaches and my family. Everyone knows how much this means to each individual. I think it’s a little extra special, I think, for me growing up with my dad as a college coach since I was six years old. I saw my dad’s first national championship at Nebraska and that’s been my life goal; it’s the most important thing in my life. It’s a sigh relief finally to win it after coming so close the past two years. It’s huge for me.”