/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

"Apassionata", Sonata Opus 57

A long while ago now, Daniel Barenboim released a DVD, "50 Years on Stage". I've only seen part of it just now.

I love listening to older musicians, who often have breathtaking control. Years ago, I saw Annie Fischer perform and she did the first movement of the "Moonlight" Sonata as an encore. (Think about the confidence it takes to do that). It remains etched in my memory.

So, I was doubly glad to see a lot more about Barenboim than I knew and to find a youtube of him in part of the masterclass. Here he is with international sensation Lang Lang. If you skip forward about 2/3 of the way through, you can hear what I'm talking about, as they work through the transtion.

Barenboim working with Lang-Lang:

If you want to compare the voicing, articulation, and what they were talking about with the syncopation, here is a clip to contrast, showing the difference between really very good and really quite exceptional.

If you didn't hear the difference between Barenboim and Lang-Lang, also listen here:

I have Barenboim's live recording of the Goldberg variations, which I thoroughly treasure, but I never pursued him in his mammoth Beethoven recording effort or his conducting. If you want to feel old, here they all when they were oh so young (Pinkas, Barenboim, Zukerman), in the lively "Trout" Quartet:

The young virtuosos: