/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Trust and Character: Or How Not to Pick a President

AS keeps pushing the "don't trust Hillary" meme.

REJECTING A GOP-ISH FRAME OF REFERENCE?

I always find the "trust and character" crowd ... preachy snobs, for the most part, when it comes to politics.

AS should be reminded that he got into trouble with Bush-Cheney by applying an "I trusted them" formulation.

I DON'T TRUST POLITICIANS, ANY POLITICIANS - I TRUST THE CONSTITUTION

On that score, I still know more about the predictability of Chris Dodd, for instance, than I do Obama.

But, to be fair, knowing proposals is also what is attractive about Obama, too, as I found his proposal for a Presidential Commission on gay rights, a leadership council, quite worthwhile and insightful.
Why would any thinking person trust a politician? Part of the point of having checks-and-balances is to avoid the need to trust someone too much. Part of having open government is to make sure that the worst abuses are put to light and shriveled, before they hatch.

The other key element of trust is abuse of authority. Frankly, I can't imagine how "Saint Hilliary" is going to come close to that.

CLINTON HAS BEEN AS CONSISTENT AS OBAMA

Rather than look for trust, the right emphasis is on what people will do. Asking that, instead of these go-nowhere questions, avoids the "freakshow", too.

We know Hilliary's issues - healthcare, women, and a willingness to put plainly progressive values upfront. I can't imagine that she is "lying" about them.

As for Obama, as attracted as I am to his style of politics, I still cannot say definitively why he is running for President, what he intends to do, what his signature issues are. On that score, I still know more about the predictability of Chris Dodd, for instance, than I do Obama. But, to be fair, knowing proposals is also what is attractive about Obama, as I found his proposal for a Presidential Commission on gay rights, a leadership council, quite worthwhile and insightful.