/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Holding back: Black on Black

AS was on about this post from Clive Davis.



It's long been recognized how groups hold thier own "back", although phrases like 'sociologically circumscribed' are more value neutral. The question is how much that is still true. I'm not close to the pulse on this, but it is my sense that the "path out of the ghetto" is not nearly as steep as it used to be. In fact, the reason that affirmative action has come under fire from conservatives is that minority groups, I might argue, have a growing base of thier own 'old boy' networks, that are encroaching on others.



In any case, it's comparatively easy to write about other sub-groups' problems. I wonder if AS has written about how, for instance, the "Gay Community" holds thier own back or not. I certainly don't know all of Andrew's writings, so I don't prejudge, but, as you can imagine, it's not the kind of writing that makes you popular!