/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

"Habibi, Will you Civil Union Me?"

It's true: gay kids have to phone their moms ...

For many, "Will you marry me?" are still the most romantic words in the English language, despite all that you read about the across the board emptying of the institution of marriage.

So, tomorrow night, perhaps someone could ask the candidates if they would have asked their spouse, "Will you civil union me, dear?"

In a piece today, Evan Wolfson suggests further that
Candidates seeking to explain their position further should talk about real couples, real kids, and real emotions and values, such as treating people the way you'd want to be treated.
I couldn't agree more. Gavin Newsome, SF Mayor, had some shining moments in this regard, explaining in simple terms why he started marrying people and asking (paraphrase), "After 30 years together, who am I to say to Pam and Joan they are not 'married'?"

[I would re-write the debate prep responses with that very advice in mind, however, if I were working for each of the campaigns. Clearly, the candidates should get to a point where they know gay people and gay couples enough to spin a yarn like Ronald Reagan did so often, "You know, when I was at the Panama canal, I met Roberto and Juan, and I said to myself, 'No government is going to ....'" (applause, applause, applause).]

One thing that I would most certainly add to Evan's list is this: "Secure a proper relationship future for gay and lesbian kids."