/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Friday, July 13, 2007

For The Record, Not My Job to Trust

>>>>> Have you considered why you were blind to this?

"I think I have. I trusted a president after a national catastrophe in a time of war. I had become completely inured to the evidence of Saddam's WMDs, and mindful of our under-estimating his WMD potential in 1990." -AS

For the record, I was firmly for confronting Saddam, to (a) end his regime, rather than keep trying to rehabilitate him and (b) bring Iraq back into the World's security net. However, I never felt that anyone ought to do so abjectly or unconditionally, which is where the President and the neocons ended up (as well as many members of the press), as well as the Congress, who ceded far too much authority.

For sure, there are people who trusted.

What I don't care for is those who should have known better than that. It's not my job to trust the President, that's why I have a Congressman and a Senator, too - to make sure there are checks and balances and oversight. What's more, it is a profound misunderstanding of the role of a Senator to vote too much 'unsupervised' authority to any President.

Of course, today, this gives me great pause about Hillary's judgments. And, while I'd like to warm to Obama, he seems to be moving to the right and unwilling to reach for a boldness, so far, like a Kennedy can.

I think the electorate is going to move to the left by election time, so he's wading over into the wrong pool, on my calculus.

That leaves me with Edwards, so far, from among those polling high, who is actually coming at the others from the left. Besides, he's so boyishly cute, I think he should spend $400 on haircuts - if you've got it, ... (Whereas Romney, who some think is the most Presidential looking on in the GOP field, appears to me like he is ready for Madame Tussaud's wax museum every day. So much for my trenchant analysis of the non-frontrunners.)