/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Not Ready from Day One

Abu Muqawama on DADT:

But this leads me to my biggest gripe about this policy shift. I don't blame the Obama Administration nearly as much as I blame foot-dragging flag officers. Last year, I sat in on an on-the-record lunchtime talk with Gen. Casey, and the chief of staff of the U.S. Army was asked a point-blank question about the repeal of DADT. Gen. Casey kinda shrugged and said the U.S. Army would study the issue if and when the administration notified it of a change in policy.

No.

I cannot describe how upset I was by this incident -- not because I particularly care about DADT as an issue but because this kind of uniformed foot-dragging makes me angry.


And from the comments, dovetailing with my earlier post today:

On this issue I turn to West wing and the sage words of the character Admiral Fitzwallace [Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff].

MAJOR TATE - Sir, we're not prejudiced toward homosexuals.
FITZWALLACE - You just don't want to see them serving in the Armed Forces?
MAJOR TATE - No sir, I don't.
FITZWALLACE - 'Cause they pose a threat to unit discipline and cohesion.
MAJOR TATE - Yes sir.
FITZWALLACE - That's what I think too. I also think the military wasn't designed to be an instrument of social change.
MAJOR TATE - Yes sir.
FITZWALLACE - The problem with that is that what they were saying to me 50 years ago. Blacks shouldn't serve with Whites. It would disrupt the unit. You know what? It did disrupt the unit. The unit got over it. The unit changed. I'm an admiral in the U.S. Navy and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff...Beat that with a stick. [to Ken] We'll see you, Ken. [leaves]