/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Monday, January 25, 2010

David Blankenhorn, Amphigory

Well, I've finished David Blankenhorn's The Future of Marriage. I regret deeply that I did not come to it sooner. Despite good personal reason not to, I feel now that I'm late. It requires attention.

What to say? It's as though there are two David Blankenhorns in the same book.

Of course, I cannot see into his heart, so it is difficult, on face, to tell whether he truly believes in the full human dignity of homosexuals or if he is simply so confident that his arguments against them are sufficiently robust that he can permit a false and disarming mini-largess.

Upfront, I can tell you he is very afraid. He's afraid of Judith Stacey. Who's Judith Stacey, I ask? What, you never heard of her either? Just as I supposed. The list goes on, but I found none of the more substantive fears insurmountable. Fear, too often, is the great mind destroyer.

I can also say this upfront, even if - even if - God is working through gays to help nongays think about their marriages, these days, I will reject as false his posited notion of "rival goods" on the question of gay marriage. We'll see, but I suspect that "false" will be the most friendly of terms used.

I might also add this, in charity. Nongays are in disarray, still, not only about their own marriages, but about gay marriage. As hard as it is, gays are going to have to spell it out, line by line, if needs be. In other words, it may not be enough to find fault in rationales for marriage denial, because it appears that there will be an enduring stream of them, yet to be faced. 'Marriage nuts' need something to crack open, something to hang their hat on, from gays. Their imagination and vision are lacking, as to their options on the able to influence outcomes.