/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Monday, December 31, 2007

Technology Review Update

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO?

So, like, would you spend $150 (or more) on a zippy, but used, graphics card that (a), is not Vista ready and never will be; (b), cannot work in any 64-bit system; amd (c), uses the rapidly aging AGP architecture?

You'd think no, but that is what is happening right now - consistently - on eBay, where I sometimes look for strings to hold old things together.

AWAY FROM BLOGGING, THE OTHER BLUE HAZE

Meanwhile, in personal tech news, I got into the box for a thorough cleaning and taking of stock.

Removing the heat-sink (to get at the unbelievable amount of dust that accumulates) actually pulled the CPU right out of its socket, even in "locked" CPU position; because my little overclocked babe had almost welded itself to the block. With one pin noticeably bent and a "no CPU detected" error, I figured I was in for a long New Year's Day. In despair, I busted the CPU brace, putting the thing back on (yes, I don't know my own strength, ... when it comes to plastic).

It started chugging, though; so, we're good.

COMPUTER CASES

Separately, who is happy with the state of computer cases? Seriously, one can get fairly good quality steel knives from China, built in processes that are far more demanding (it's not just bending). But a search for a basic, but intelligent, set of features often comes up wanting in retail boxes, with little perceived value for the price. I mean $80+ for flimsy steel cases that often have the deisgn acumen of a junior mint? *sigh*