/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Thursday, April 26, 2007

"Reality" is for wimps

I argue in The Conservative Soul, conservatism is based in part on the notion that building politics on reality rather than on dreams is more likely to make the world a lightly better place than the well-meaning alternative. - AS


consider:

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
-George Bernard Shaw, "Back to Methuselah" (1921), part 1, act 1

fundamental differences between men and women

Pshaw! The next thing AS is going to tell me that, "in reality", there is no heaven for puppydogs and kitty-cats.

I don't much like pushing around 'liberalism' in order to create or re-redefine a better 'conservatism', which is why this post exists. If AS's post is more about getting past the Reagan Devolution to a more cognizable 'realism', then I'm all all for it.