/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Carbon Tax: To be or not to be

I worry about conservatives peddling new taxes. Since when do they not believe in the infinite wisdom of free markets? It just doesn't add up.

What's more, I wonder how "true" their newfound love of the environment is. Because I doubt that, I worry in equal measure that the motivation behind these carbon taxes is to avoid the one-time, wealth and/or income tax that is necessary to pay for the Bush Administration's (a) mis-calibration of no-tax-and-spend and (b) a tax-free, emergency-supplemental "long war".

The best you will get out of me, therefore, is a revenue-neutral carbon tax, for those who believe that it would do a nation good. The Europeans tax the hell out of their gasoline - is their 'National Security" improving?



Companion reader link to AS.