/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Obama Slow-Peddling Change?

IT'S NOT DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN

There is a gathering impatience about the pace of gay-rights legislation.

During the primaries, I was among those expecting far less from Obama. Now, I'm curiously more optimistic about what he can achieve.

It's been just 113 days, today (including weekends!).

So, my sense is to press for full repeal of DADT, true immigration equality, etc.

I can think of a lot of ugly halfway houses, constructed by the rightwing of the military and the "blue dogs" ...
Most of the legislation they've passed has been on a tight deadline. They will ram through healthcare by July 31. (gulp!)

Civil Rights issues are going to require White House leadership, which means they will take up time. Can someone in the Congress take up the task of building the legislative support required? Is there a Congressional Civil Rights Czar, who can increase the span of control? It doesn't seem likely. Stalwart Ted Kennedy is hardly in top shape*. It doesn't look like Gates will step up to the plate for the President, on this issue, at least not in a leadership role.

My worry is that what they do will be low quality, not that they won't attempt to do something at all.

So, my sense is to press for full repeal of DADT, true immigration equality, etc. I can think of a lot of ugly halfway houses, constructed by the rightwing of the military and the "blue dogs" ...

LEGISLATIVE STRATEGY - JUST DO IT!

Here is a question for those who know the Hill far better than I. If I were a legislative aide, I'd might recommend that Obama-Biden tackle all the legislative items at once. One giant legislative push for all of them. I think the Left-Left and Right-Left politics works better that way: true or false?

*Although, he did have time/energy for the Serve America Act, so these views are ... weakly held, to say the least.