/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Persistence of Gay Culture

I'd comment on the end of the clone-zone (clones predate the 90s, for pity's sake); but, of course, that would mean that I'm not sufficiently postmodern ...

Moreover, I'm never quite sure what is changing in these ad hoc sociological analyses, the culture or the observer. Didn't people mature in olden days, too?

Meanwhile, this caught my eye. Could this have been written 20 years ago by a 21-year old, too (I think so - and what does that mean about what is persistent and what has changed)?:

In fact, I feel that the older generation has done a great disservice by not giving us real role models and, instead, taking joy in anonymous sex in darkened theaters, dissolution of the family model, and wallowing in outrageousness. All of these things have contributed to a gay culture wherein I, as a politically active, liberal, professional, educated, monogamous, partnered, JCrew/LL Bean wearing, HIV Negative man am an unfortunate minority.

How am I supposed to support gay leadership when they seemingly endorse a culture of death (excessive partying, no interest in children, HIV, anonymous sex, etc.) and lament whenever another pit of self disrespect (i.e. sex shops/theaters, drag theaters) is closed? I truly love you and your words, Andrew, but enough is enough. Let us move on together ...


sullylink