/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Friday, January 9, 2009

Inaugural Blues

LOVE IT FOR ITS OATHINESS*?

John Aravosis notices:


I really worry that Obama is starting to create a good deal of bad blood on the Democratic side of the aisle, and unnecessarily. And as I always try to explain, it doesn't matter if some of you think its petty that people are feeling slighted. The fact remains that important, powerful people are feeling slighted - are being slighted - and the list is growing. And that does not bode well for the future of Obama's agenda in this town. At some point you need more than the minority party on your side to achieve victory.

After the Rick Warren thing, the shine was off the apple, for me.

Even making allowances, I don't feel excited. There is no sense of pregnant expectation, perhaps because of this early reminder that politics is politics. Perhaps not.

In a larger, more fundamental sense, it's not because of my individual proclivities or any dashed expectations, too much. It's because I don't know what Obama is going to do.

Because I don't know what Obama will do, because American campaigns are vague contests, it simply will be a relief, if stuff that I'd like to see done gets enacted, rather than the culmination of a dream or the fulfillment of a promise.

Maybe that's a better, more sober way to go about post-partisan politics. Qien sabe?

Anyway, someone e-mail me the inaugural address. I'll muster true enthusiasm ... later.

*I got there first, Colbert...