/* Google Analytics Code asynchronous */

Friday, November 9, 2007

Andrew Sullivan: "I'm not a victim" (except when I'm playing the victim)

AS tries to execute a "save" with:

And I do not define myself primarily by shared victimhood.

Begging pardon, but the hell you don't.

  • You're the "victim" of the liberal elite in the gay community
  • You're the "victim" of the liberal media, from time to time
  • You're the "victim" of feminists, especially lesbian feminists
  • You're the "victim" of 'p.c.' for years now, assuming that position with great predictability and alacrity
... the list is probably longer, that's just off the top of my head.

By the way, I'm still wondering who the gay elite are. Is Matt Foreman "elite"? Urvashi Vaid? Lee Swislow (GLAD)? Who is "elite" and why?

Ending up with this rights-movement 101, question:

I [Andrew Sullivan] am a privileged, white sexist patriarchal rich HIV-positive-with-meds guy. So why, then, pray, am I still regarded (in your acronym at least) as a part of your "community"?

This is a frequent mistake from those on the Right who think "gay rights" is like running a political party, like the Greens or something. (At least it seems so to me).

You can stop being a Green, simply by confessing to another political party. Tell me, can you stop being a gay man?